My mom came home the other day telling me about a convo she had with her friend. This woman was telling her how great it is to be a grandmother, she loves it, blah blah blah, and my mom says to me "I said 'I don't even KNOW if I will ever be a grandma because my kids aren't even close to that point'." HELLO stress!! I got really defensive and I told her "Please stop saying stuff like this, cuz I already feel horrible about it as it is." Then my dad chimes in "Don't feel bad for us; I don't need to deal with little kids right now." Thanks dad, but I wasn't talking about YOU, I was talking about ME. I just feel like I'm so far behind everyone. I am a big proponent of not putting yourself on a time line and saying "I need to do this by this age, this by this age..." I think that once you're ready, that's when you're supposed to do XYZ. BUT, seeing my friends get married and start families does make me feel bad sometimes because I am not even close to having that. I'm totally changing my life for poop's sake, and that is going to take at least 5 years!
I guess the main idea here is, the way my life is now and with my job situation, do I really want to bring kids into the equation? Financially speaking, it's impossible. Realistically speaking, all finances aside, it would be unfair to my potential kids because I am SO incredibly unhappy with my life right now because of my job, and I don't want my children growing up in an unhealthy environment. I can barely take care of my own emotional needs, how could I care for someone else's?
I have to admit, when I read People or any celebrity magazine and they say so-and-so gave birth or so-and-so's kid is this old, I have to look at how old so-and-so is just to be able to say I still have time to start a family. I don't think I'm too old and when I am ready, I don't think that will be too old either. I just can't stand all the pressure and with the holidays around the corner, I am really dreading to hear what everyone has to say about this school/putting off "life" thing. OI!
The good thing though is rather than rush to a carton of ice cream, I dealt with my feelings. I didn't binge, I didn't run to the gas station to get some candy (although it did cross my mind, I ain't gonna lie), but I really just thought about what was going on. Doesn't help that last night I probably ate 400 more calories than I should have but that was due out of sincere hunger and not emotion. We will deal with that later. Right now though, the emotional eating got defeated and that is a good sign!
Two thumbs up on the eating Melissa! And believe me, take your time with kids...you have all the time in the world for all that jazz! I'm not gonna say 'I wish i could go back' because that would change too much. I do however wonder why my butt isn't back in school doing something better than the job title of : Stay at home mom. Because the kids are at school. all. day. long.
ReplyDeleteTo be honest,i've thought about being a nurse. But the thought of going to school for 2yrs(technical collage) holds me back...anyways.
Have a great weekend!!
I know what you mean. The whole idea of going back to school for another 5 years is killing me, but I know I will be happier once I am doing something I love. If you love being a SAHM, I say stick with it! If you want to be nurse and have time for the education, don't let the thought of school keep you from going back!! Do what makes you happy :)
ReplyDelete