I'm a huge fan of Skinny Emmie's blog. She is so motivating, I don't think she ever EVER complains (note to self: STOP COMPLAINING! Ok maybe that can't be easily done), and I love when she posts pics of her newest outfits! Anyway, this month she brought my attention to something called Reverb 10; basically each day during the month of December, you get a prompt on which to reflect. I am a little late to the game but I decided that since I'm closing this chapter of my life and starting a brand new one, it would be fun to reflect on this year.
12/7 Prompt: Community ~ Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Author: Cali Harris)
I have been a member of the Cathe Friedrich forums for a few years now. At first, I kind of lingered around but eventually I dove right in. The community was so welcoming and knowledgeable about nutrition and fitness, and it was just fun to kill some time on there. Last year, everyone started talking about this road trip thing that was apparently a huge deal. I had no clue what they were talking about. Come to find out that each year, Cathe opens up her gym in NJ to fitness fanatics (and yes, I say "fanatics" in all sincerity and you will find out why in a minute) for a weekend of working out and socializing with fellow Cathletes, Cathe herself, and her crew. When the road trip was over, everyone came back, posted their pics online, and told the rest of us all about the great RT of 2009. I saw sweat & smiles everywhere; now I was totally determined to go.
Since only 100 people get a chance to go on the RT, the day reservations opened up, I stalked that site like it was my job. I think I was #16 and I also believe it sold out in a matter of minutes. These things are popular which is why I call us "fanatics:" who else would willingly open themselves up to torture for 3 days? I never had the wind kicked out of me the way it was that weekend. My legs were never so swollen that trying to pull my jeans on was a chore. And you know what? I loved every minute of it.
I went by myself, not knowing anyone. This was hard for me because I am DEFINITELY not the type to just jump into something alone, but I was open to meeting new people. After going through this experience, I am so glad that I stepped out of my comfort zone and went! I met a lot of really awesome, inspiring women who can completely relate to the huge role Cathe and overall fitness play in our lives. I am a dork for saying this but I did get a little teary-eyed on the drive home; it was such an amazing weekend and I didn't want it to end!
I exchanged contact info with a couple of women on the RT and was invited to join a check-in group on the forum. There, I met even MORE amazing women! Everyday we check in, sharing what's going on in our lives (fitness-related and non-fitness stuff), and pushing each other to keep going on this journey. And to think, if I hadn't gone on the RT, I wouldn't even be a part of this. Checking in with my girls is one of the perks of my day!
I got so much out of the 2010 Cathe RT, much more than I anticipated. It brought me a sense of community, a sense of belonging, and allowed me to meet so many people who know what it's like to be as crazy as me when it comes to working out!
This summer, it might be a little hard swinging for the RT being that I won't have much disposable income, but I already started saving up as much as I can so I can go again. It's definitely 1 of my top experiences of the year!!
If anyone wants to join in on Reverb 10, here is the website where you can sign up!
No comments:
Post a Comment